2020 AFRICA MISSION TRIP – RWANDA
To make sure you don’t miss a detail as we plan this upcoming mission trip, sign up for our email list below.
Next Mission Trips to Rwanda, starting November 2020! Teach refugee students technical skills! See below for details. We need your practical expertise!
November 2020 – stay tuned for trip dates!
Schedule your 2, 3 or 4 week mission trip to make a difference at the Holiday Training Program at Rwankeri Adventist College in Rwanda.
All Impact Hope students will be gathered here to learn technical skills such as sewing, gardening, and much more. You are needed! This is a great time to come to Rwanda! Game Park Safari Included.
TRAVEL TO RWANDA AND EMPOWER YOUNG REFUGEE STUDENTS!
You can make a difference in the life of a refugee youth simply by teaching basic but useful life skills. Travel overseas to our boarding school in Rwanda where you can see the campus our sponsored students attend, meet these eager individuals, and teach them skills that will help them build a better life for themselves and their family.
SEEKING THE FOLLOWING SKILL SETS:
This upcoming trip will focus on the refugee students’ summer holiday training course. We want to keep our students at the schools instead of sending them back to the camp’s living conditions, so we have to provide a legitimate reason to keep them over the summer.
To do this, we will teach technical skills and life skills. We are looking for individuals or groups who can teach these young students in the following areas:
- Maintenance and repair
- Health and hygiene
- Personal finance, budgeting
- Advanced computer skills
- Medical Clinic Opportunity for Medical Professionals:
- Medical Staff- MD, NP, PA, RN’s
There will also be lots of time for singing, playing games, playing soccer and much more.
Housing is basic but clean. Dormitory rooms are available, as well as other on-campus or near-campus dwellings.
Join the Mission Trip Now!
(Schedule would be similar regardless of which mission trip dates you choose.)
- Sunday, December 1:
- Fly to Amsterdam (AMS), Netherlands, then Kigali (KGL), Rwanda, arriving by evening, December 1st. Stay at Adventist Guesthouse.
- Monday, December 2:
- Breakfast and travel to Rwankeri Adventist College.
- Tuesday-Friday, December 3-6:
- Work/teach in assigned areas (English training, Gardening, Sewing, Health and hygiene, Bookkeeping -Personal finance & budgeting, Advanced computer skills, Art/Music or Maintenance).
- Medical Professionals: Work in the local clinic helping students and community members. Eye Clinic planned – Optometrists needed as well!
- Sabbath, December 7:
- Spend Sabbath with students at Rwankeri.
- Sunday, December 8:
- Arrival of new team.
- Monday-Tuesday, December 9-10:
- Work/teach in assigned areas. Show new team members what has been taught.
- Wednesday, December 11:
- Leave in Safari vehicle for Akagera Game Park. Stay at Akagera Lodge one night.
- Thursday, December 12:
- Akagera Game Park safari drive. Return to Kigali for night.
- Friday, December 13:
- Morning devotion at ADRA Rwanda, visit Gihembe Refugee Camp, Handicraft shopping.
- Sabbath, December 14:
- Attend Kigali English Church, lunch with ADRA directors. Finish packing. Fly to Amsterdam (AMS), then home by December 15.
- To lift Jesus up before our brothers and sisters in Rwanda. “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself” (John 12:32).
- To serve our refugee brothers and sisters by providing the following: building maintenance; technical training (gardening, plumbing, electricity, sewing, etc.); English; health classes.
- To help all mission participants grow spiritually and understand that ” you are either a missionary…or a mission field.”
2 Week Mission Trip Fee: $1200.00 USD, which includes the following:
- Three meals per day and bottled water
- All ground transportation within Rwanda (does not include airfare)
- Entrance fees for any tourist sites visited as a group
- Supplies and other expenses directly related to the mission trip
Each participant is responsible for purchasing their own airfare, travel insurance, and tourist visa. This is separate from the mission trip fee.
- You may book your own airline tickets (after Impact Hope has approved your desired dates), but if possible, we ask that you purchase your flights through Butler Travel. Nathanael Martin will assist in coordinating all the flights so the majority can travel together on the same airline. You may contact Nathanael by phone or email.
- Travel insurance prices are dependent on age, type of coverage, and length of trip. Please ask Nathanael at Butler Travel about different options available.
- Tourist Visa is $30 and is granted upon the time of arrival in Kigali Airport. ADRA Rwanda will send a letter of invitation for all participants of the Rwandan Mission Trip. This letter can be shown to the Kigali airport authorities when requesting a visa. When asked about the reason for visiting Rwanda, please say you are a “tourist.”
- $300 in emergency expenses is recommended.
- You may wish to bring extra funds for discretionary spending.
- Arrange for airline travel, visa and insurance as described in the section above.
- Visit the CDC website and get recommended vaccines for Rwanda.
- Make sure your passport is current (it must have an expiration date no earlier than 7 months after your arrival date in Rwanda.)
- Email a digital scan (.jpg file) of your passport to Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay your $1200 mission trip fee by October 1, 2019, to secure a place on this mission trip, which is limited to 20 individuals per two week period. You may pay by check, credit card online, or by calling the Impact Hope office at (503) 673-3905. If giving online, under “Donate,” enter $1200 and select “Mission Trip Fund.” If mailing a check, send the mission trip fee to the Impact Hope office:
P.O. Box 632
West Linn, OR 97068
What to Bring:
- A flexible attitude—Be flexible! Be flexible! Be flexible! Be prepared to adjust as needed, including in the areas of working, living, traveling, dietary issues, and interacting with the host organization.
- A desire for adventure—that is, a willingness to try and experience new things.
- A humble desire to serve rather than be served.
- Enough clothes for one week (refer to dress code below). Clothes will be hand-washed at Rwankeri Adventist College in the guest housing. You are welcome to wash your own clothes if you prefer.
- Slip-on type sandals/flip flops and sneakers or other closed-toed shoes.
- Travel pouch or money belt that can be hidden to hold your passport and money.
- Bible and a notebook.
- Personal hygiene items, including one roll of toilet paper (just in case).
- Bath or beach towel.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Malaria medication.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Airborne® or similar immune-system-boosting supplement.
- Charcoal tablets/capsules for upset stomach.
- Ciprofloxacin in case of “traveler’s diarrhea.”
- “European style” outlet adapters for your cameras and phones.*
NOTE: Please limit your personal belongings to ONE carry-on and ONE 50-pound bag. In a second 50-pound bag, each participant should expect to help take supplies over, such as literature or tools.
What Not To Bring:
- A negative outlook and a complaining spirit!
- Water bottle with filter
- Small-sized backpack or fanny pack
- Granola bars or similar non-perishable snacks
- Hiking shoes
*Electrical service in Rwanda is 220-240 Volts. Ensure any electrical appliance you bring is rated similarly or is dual-voltage (i.e., 120/240 V, 50/60 Hz) and that you bring the “European Style power adapters and converters necessary for your electronics. (Note: Many cell phones or camera battery chargers are dual voltage and do not need converters).
Men and women should wear long pants and short- or long-sleeve plain shirts while working with the students. Shorts are okay for exercise or at the Akagera game park. Please dress in a conservative and professional manner. Rain gear is recommended.
Any questions? Contact LIZ at email@example.com.
STAY UPDATED WITH OUR NEWSLETTER!
To make sure you don’t miss a detail as we plan this upcoming mission trip, sign up for our email list (don’t forget to fill out the app above).